Nature and size
We are a co-educational day school, with approximately 805 pupils aged 11-19 on roll. Around 200 of these are sixth formers. In September 2012 we became an Academy. We are a high performing Specialist School specialising in Science and Modern Foreign Languages. In November 2011 the school was graded as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
Entry at 11 is determined by our own selection procedures, which are in line with those operating in other parts of the county. Normally we have four forms of entry representing the top 25% of the ability range. Our Sixth Form is open to all students for whom we can provide a suitable course.
A fleet of contract and service buses, organised by the Local Authority, provides free transport for pupils in our catchment area who live more than three miles from the school. We are also served by two privately organised bus services for out of catchment pupils, one from Boston via Sibsey and another from Lincoln.
For over four centuries, Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School has served the town of Horncastle and the surrounding countryside.
25th June 1571
The school is known to have been in existence in 1327 but records effectively began when Queen Elizabeth I granted, on the petition of Edward, Lord Clinton and Saye, Earl of Lincoln, a Charter to establish a Grammar School in Horncastle. It received its seal on 25th June, 1571, and that Charter is in proud possession of the present Governors. Originally, the school was built on a site adjoining the River Bain close to St Mary’s Parish Church. It was demolished and rebuilt after the Civil War but there it remained until the first decade of the 20th Century. In 1908 the current Dining Hall was the original building on this site.
Expansion and Change
For much of its life, Queen Elizabeth’s was a boys’ day and boarding school. Girls were only admitted when the school moved to its present site in 1908. Over the past one hundred years, the story has been one of expansion, with land and further buildings being added as the number on roll has increased. Queen Elizabeth’s was independent until the Education Act of 1944, at which time the Local Authority took over responsibility for its maintenance. It is now a self-governing Academy, working in co-operation with the Local Authority.
In September 2003, the school became a specialist Science College, working with our partner school, Banovallum. The aim has been to establish Horncastle as a “Centre for Excellence” for science education, without diminishing the importance of the school’s other activities. Additional resources have been made available to promote high standards in the sciences, mathematics and in the use of information technology.
Queen Elizabeth's serves the town of Horncastle and the surrounding area up to and beyond Wragby, Bardney and Woodhall Spa to the west, the Wolds to the north and east, and almost to Boston in the south. It includes the RAF base at Coningsby. However, we also welcome pupils from further afield, providing their parents can make suitable arrangements for transport.
Please feel free to download a copy of our current catchment area below.
Detailed map of our catchment area