The French department focuses on six main aspects of learning a language. Skills teaching is of paramount importance in the development of language learning. The six main aspects of focus are:
- Listening and speaking:
- Reading and writing:
- Intercultural understanding:
- Knowledge about the language:
- Language learning strategies:
- Working as an independent and autonomous learner
The aims are to encourage students to:
- develop an interest in, and an enthusiasm for, language learning;
- develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres;
- communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes;
- develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken;
- consider their study of the language in a broader context. Students work with authentic documents and are introduced to different levels of challenge catering for their needs.
Years 7 to 9 students follow the National Curriculum for Key Stage 3. Year 10 and 11 students follow the AQA GCSE course. Year 12 and 13 students follow the AQA A level course.