If you prefer to bring a packed lunch to school, here are some links for ideas which may inspire you!
A balanced packed lunch should contain:
- Starchy foods; bread, rice, potatoes, pasta.
- Protein; meat, soya, fish, eggs, beans.
- Dairy; cheese, yoghurt, milk (use light or low fat options)
- Vegetables or salad.
- Fruit; a piece of fruit, mixed fruit pot.
The following items are examples of foods we cannot provide in school as part of the School Food Standards. It would help us in our aim to promote healthy eating across the school if you could avoid including these within packed lunches:
- Sugary, fizzy drinks including energy drinks
- Cereal bars
Take a look at the Eatwell Plate for more guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/340869/2014-250_-_eatwell_plate_Final_version_2014.pdf
Menu ideas and more information can be found on:
- NHS Live Well site: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/childhealth6-15/Pages/Lighterlunchboxes.aspx
- Change for Life – Healthy Lunchboxes and Picnics: http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/healthy-lunchbox-picnic.aspx
We also provide a full range of healthy food options in our dining room including salad boxes, sandwiches, wraps, jacket potatoes, fruit salads and lots more. Take a look at our menu to view the choices available.